. BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Wednesday, May 21st - Hero: Veterans

Every year at Memorial Day a couple of things happen: I thank GOD for the long weekend, and I thank GOD for all the men and women that have given years of their lives to fight for our freedom. Some of them, that meant ALL their years.

I consider myself a tough person. I like to think that I would stand up for what I believe in, even to the point of death. For sure I could do it for my family and friends, for my God, probably even for any child. But to do it for my country, for all those faceless and nameless people? I don't know. For me it would be easier to focus on who I was fighting against I guess. Even then, not sure I could give it all.

Both of my grandfathers fought in WWII, one on the ground and one on the sea. My father fought in Vietnam. My stepbrother James was in Desert Storm and is currently on his second tour in Iraq. These guys are the very definition of True Heros.

Of course, a Hero doesn't stop being a Hero when the war is over or when their tour ends. It extends to every aspect of their lives. These are men that woke up every day of their lives and did their jobs. No whining, crying, or carrying on. They had a duty to do and they did it. Integrety is in their DNA. Work Ethic was a phrase coined from their actions. Not because they wanted glory, or because they were gunning for promotions. Because they knew that having a job was a blessing. It meant they could provide for their families. Because they knew that having a family was blessing in itself.

Speaking of Blessings... I am very blessed to be born into the family I was. I'm not sure why I was chosen to be, but I can never thank God enough for it. I was lucky enough to never, not once, wonder if my Father or Grandfathers loved me. I always felt safe, too. I knew that they would protect me against anything. I also was able to believe everything they told me to be true (well, the barking spiders Papa Curtis talked about was a stretch, but you get the picture). When my Grandfathers said God is real and Jesus died for me, I never once doubted it. Same as when they told me I was smart, or pretty, or that I could swim, my belief in them made it real to me. When it would storm out, and my Dad told me not to worry, it was that simple. I didn't. I still don't.

My Hero line says Veterans. All these men are / were. They could all very well be the same great men without that experience, but I think there is something there about Honor and Duty. I think it also brought to them a bigger sense of appreciation for what we have in this country, freedom and prosperity and the ability to be with our families. I think they passed this appreciation on to us, made us better people, gave us an advantage in this world. Through their sacrifice.

I hope that I can honor that. I hope that I never forget that.

Peace, Love, and GOD,
Tracy

0 comments: